Chocolate poisoning in dogs & cats: Help them recover with DoggyRade Pro and KittyRade
With Easter right around the corner, the extra chocolate lying around can inadvertently result in impromptu visits to the vet after your dog or cat accidentally gets into your stash. It’s more common than you might think, especially around this time of year and some might be surprised to hear that chocolate ranked fourth among the APCC’s latest list of top pet toxins. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that is extremely toxic for our pets and can affect the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system and the respiratory system.
What should you do if your dog/cat has eaten chocolate?
Depending on the size of your pet and the amount of chocolate they have ingested, it may be necessary to take them to the vet. It is important to call your veterinarian and they will be able to assess your individual situation and advise whether your pet needs medical attention. Although there isn’t a specific antidote for chocolate poisoning in cats and dogs, a vet will usually induce vomiting to remove the chocolate from your pet’s system.
Most dangerous types of chocolate for pets
The higher the level of theobromine, the more toxic for your pet. Plain, dark chocolate contains the highest levels, milk chocolate contains middling levels, while white chocolate contains very little to no theobromine at all.
- Cocoa powder contains approximately 28.5mg/g
- Unsweetened chocolate contains approximately 13.9mg/g
- Semi-sweet chocolate & dark chocolate contains approximately 5.3mg/g
- Milk chocolate contains approximately 1.5mg/g
Treatment is required for dogs who have eaten 3.5g of dark chocolate for every kilogram they weigh.
An approximate guide:
Toy (5kg): 17.5g
Small (10kg): 35g
Medium (20kg): 70g
Large (30kg): 105g
Extra large (45kg): 157.5g
What symptoms should you be looking for?
Abnormal heart rate and seizures
Collapse and death (worst case scenarios)
Onset of symptoms can occur within two hours but can take up to 24 hours.
DoggyRade Pro and DoggyRade to aid recovery of dogs from chocolate poisoning
DoggyRade Pro is an award-winning prebiotic, isotonic rehydration drink for dogs, originally formulated for use in veterinary patients. Depending on the clinical signs, treatment for chocolate poisoning in dogs may include induced vomiting, activated charcoal, intravenous fluids, heart medications, anticonvulsants, and antacids. DoggyRade Pro contains easily absorbable carbohydrates which helps dogs recover from intestinal disorders such as acute vomiting/diarrhea and supports rehydration. It also consists of larger doses of amino acids, prebiotics and balanced electrolytes than DoggyRade, to facilitate the replacement of those lost due to illness. DoggyRade Pro can be given for up to seven days, and following this, your dog can transition to DoggyRade which will continue to support the good bacteria in the gut, as well as overall intestinal and immune health.
KittyRade to aid recovery of cats from chocolate poisoning
Although chocolate poisoning is rare in cats, it can occur and is still toxic if consumed. Cats are less attracted to the taste and smell of chocolate than dogs, but while a chocolate bar may not appeal to them, any kind of milk-based chocolate drink could certainly entice them and pose a significant health risk to your cat! KittyRade is a prebiotic isotonic drink that supports your cat’s gut and helps them to rehydrate quickly. This can be especially beneficial following a vet visit after an event such as chocolate poisoning. Vets will often induce vomiting if they suspect your cat is unwell due to chocolate toxicity. Cats are fussy drinkers at the best of times, and with this in mind, KittyRade is formulated with a delicious chicken taste cats love. This helps increase their fluid consumption and supports them in rehydrating effectively.